Commonwealth Lightship Carpentaria
The Lightship Carpentaria, now on display at the Australian National Maritime Museum in Sydney's Darling Harbour, has warned mariners of hazards in the Gulf of Carpentaria, Breaksea Spit near Queensland's Sandy Cape and Bass Strait. She was built at Sydney's Cockatoo Island Dockyard in 1917 and last used in 1983.
She was one of a series of four unmanned light floats built for the Commonwealth Lighthouse Service and was originally fitted with an automatic acetylene light that switched itself on and off using a sunlight operated valve.
For more information...
Australian National Maritime Museum Website